October was the first time (in our short history) that we’ve promoted and celebrated National Co-op month. It provides an opportunity to educate the community about our co-op, and promote the cooperative business model as a tool for building a thriving regional economy. The USDA also has a great blog post about co-op month.
Since incorporating in 2012, we have been busy recruiting Owners and getting the basic start-up operations in place. But this Fall seemed like the perfect time to start this annual event. We didn’t have much planning time since we decided to participate in mid-August, but we were determined to make a few things happen. So, here’s a re-cap of what we did do:
- Shared information about The Community Market, and co-ops in general, through the “31 Facts for 31 Days” posts on Facebook.
- Unveiled the new slogan for the co-op – “Own a piece of the pie & eat it too!”
- Sent a press release to local media outlets about co-op month and our events.
- Launched accounts on Twitter and Pinterest and started growing each. Tweeted most of the 31 facts about co-ops.
- With the amazing help of one of our Owners, we re-designed and updated the website and added more content and a newsletter sign-up box.
- Scheduled and held tours at Ogburn Berries & Produce in Willow Spring and “The Plant” Bio-Industrial Park, and Chatham Marketplace Food Co-op – both in Pittsboro – check out our Facebook photos album .
- Participated in Holly Fest in Holly Springs for first time. Check out our Facebook photo album.
- Held our first workshop event on healthy eating and living with GRUB from Wilmington, NC. This was actually done in the begining of November as they were booked in October. Check out our Facebook photo album.
- Encouraged new owner sign-ups by promoting a drawing for a prize package with tickets to the award-winning musical production of Annie. Congratulations to our winner and new Owners – John & Judy G. of Holly Springs!
- Presented about the Co-op to the Downtown Fuquay Varina Rotary Club, the Lions Club and the FV Chamber of Commerce Leadership Program Candidates.
- Created our first giveaway promotional item, a 25 page grocery list pad, that many Holly Fest attendees received.
A special thanks goes out to:
- All of our Board Members and volunteers who helped us at the booth for The Downtown Bounty and Holly Fest and/or donated basket goodies and pies;
- Owner Lance Bush for designing the hip GRUB event poster and flyer;
- Owner Deb Parker for the awesome 31 Facts series; and
- Owner Kevin Gainey for much-needed the website updates.
You all are truly what our Co-op community is about…
people working cooperatively together to create a better place for us all!
And if you think all that is “good stuff”, be on the look out for many more GREAT things to come in 2015! 🙂